ENTERTAINMENT LAWYERS IN LOS ANGELES PROTECTING YOU AND YOUR PROJECT
Entertainment law, also known as media law, is the field of law that focuses on providing legal services to the entertainment industry — TV, film, music, theatre, visual arts, publishing, advertising, internet, and news media.
Entertainment law always involves intellectual property law, but it can simultaneously involve issues of employment law, labor law, as well as intellectual property matters such as trademarks, and copyright. In addition, legal issues can arise regarding securities law, rights of publicity, rights of privacy, defamation, clearance of rights, product placement, advertising, international law, and insurance law.
Due to the intersection of so many areas of law, producers and production companies can run into a variety of legal traps and pitfalls. Consequently, you likely need an entertainment lawyer in Southern California to protect you and your project to avoid both long-term financial harm and costly legal battles.
Experienced entertainment lawyers can help with a wide variety of matters:
- Negotiating deals and contracts to ensure your best interests are protected including co-production agreements, shopping agreements, and attachment agreements.
- Formation of business entities including corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs),and partnerships.
- Protection of intellectual property rights related to projects, scripts, treatments, and trademarks.
- Assistance with production, distribution, and financing deals.
- Preparation of documents for the financing of TV or film projects.
HOW DOES AN ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER HELP MY PROJECT?
Entertainment lawyers do not replace agents or managers, but work in conjunction with you, your partners, and your representatives and collaborate to further your creative goals:
- Negotiating on your behalf to secure the best terms regarding the development, finance, production, and distribution of your project.
- Protecting your intellectual property rights by ensuring all necessary documents are properly prepared and executed to secure the chain of title and all ownership rights so you can fully exploit your project.
- Reviewing, revising, and analyzing third-party agreements to make sure your rights are protected, and you obtain the maximum contractually available benefits.
- Providing advice and guidance regarding the many legal issues that can arise while you seek to develop, finance, produce and distribute your project.
An entertainment lawyer should be a part of your team assisting and guiding you through each project and throughout your career in the entertainment industry.
HOW DO I FIND A GOOD ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER?
It is important to select an entertainment lawyer that is both experienced in the areas of the industry that you need assistance with (for example, feature film production) and who understands and appreciates your overall professional goals.
Pacitti Law Firm offers a complimentary initial consultation to provide you with a thorough assessment of your legal needs.
The entertainment business is incredibly challenging, and the legal issues are extremely complex. It is essential to hire an entertainment lawyer who can handle all of the legal complexities and help guide you and your team throughout the process of developing, financing, producing, and distributing your project.
DO I NEED AN ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER RIGHT NOW?
If you are in the process of developing, financing, producing, or distributing television or film content, you should contact an entertainment lawyer sooner than later.
Legal issues arise from the moment an idea is created that will form the basis of a television or film project. Issues of copyright and a variety of other issues arise that can impact the future exploitation of your project. It is important that you have an entertainment lawyer advising and guiding you from the inception of your project to make sure your rights are fully protected.
To further you are in the process of producing your project, the more urgent the need for an entertainment lawyer becomes. The reason for the urgency is due to the necessity of protecting the chain of title.
Concisely, “chain of title” is the series of legal documents and agreements that establishes proprietary rights and ownership in a television or film project. If there is any “break” in this chain, then producers may not be able to ever sell, distribute or exploit their project because there would be a defect in the rights which would prevent producers from securing distribution.
Therefore, it is essential to retain an entertainment lawyer as soon as possible to make sure all of the necessary agreements and other documents are properly prepared to make sure producers secure all of the required rights.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION WITH OUR ENTERTAINMENT LAWYERS
If you believe you need the assistance of an entertainment lawyer, you should contact us immediately to schedule a free initial consultation. We are experienced in all aspects of TV and film from development and finance through production and distribution. During the initial consultation, we will advise you on the best approach for you, your company, and your project.
At the conclusion of the initial consultation, we provide a comprehensive assessment of your legal needs, the time involved to provide the proposed services, and as well as projected costs.
If you need advice and guidance or are seeking legal assistance with any entertainment law matter, call Pacitti Law Firm today at 323-230-6200.