CALIFORNIA INDEPENDENT TV & FILM PRODUCTION
Independent television and film production has exploded in recent years due to a variety of factors. The proliferation of multiple new online content platforms that are starving for content and advancements in digital video technology and the affordable availability of cutting-edge editing, sound, and other film production equipment have made it financially possible for independent producers and production companies to create high-quality TV and film for a fraction of the cost of a studio picture.
The firm is experienced in providing legal support for every type of production from a $10 million feature film to a low-budget, web-based unscripted streaming project. Our services help clients avoid the common pitfalls that affect many productions and ultimately, we help the production save money and facilitate the distribution and delivery of the project. We handle the legal and business aspects of the production so producers can focus on realizing their creative vision while still making money for themselves and their investors.
The production services provided by the firm include but are not limited to:
- Chain of title matters, including registration of the underlying works with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Preparation of agreements for principal and supporting cast, above-the-line crew (producers, director, casting director, executive producers), below-the-line crew agreements, location agreements, day player and extras agreements, facilities agreements, vendor agreements, stage agreements, personal release agreements, and any other non-union template agreements.
- Assistance and guidance regarding clearance reports including script, film, copyright, and title clearance.
- Product clearances, including providing a product clearance form and reviewing product clearance agreements and product placement agreements.
- Assistance and guidance regarding applications and other documents required for applicable union signatories (including advice regarding union compliance).
- Preparation of post-production agreements, including editors, assistant editors, VFX personnel and house(s), and post-production house(s).
- Provide music license templates, finalize music licenses, and/or prepare composer contracts for original scores.
- Other post-production assistance, including guidance regarding credits, paid ad obligations, name, and likeness approvals, restrictions, E&O insurance policies, and review and comment on the first drafts of main/end titles and billing blocks.
If you are seeking assistance with the production of a television or film project, contact us at 323-230-6200 or click here.
The initial consultation is always complimentary. At the conclusion of the initial consultation, all clients are provided a comprehensive assessment of their legal needs, the time involved to provide the proposed services, and the projected costs.